Newzjunky

Author Topic: Newzjunky  (Read 8893 times)

TheSituation

Newzjunky
« on: January 10, 2010, 01:53:27 AM »
I have a question.  I may just be behind the times but was Newzjunky sold or something?  I moved away from Watertown a few months ago but I check Newzjunky every day to keep up with things going on in the North Country.  Today, on a Saturday, there were only about three updates on the site and I've noticed that this is happening more often.  Is this due to the fact that there was "no news" or somebody slacking?  I haven't been on the JCWB for awhile so I might've missed something.  Just wondering...

shockhazard69

Re: Newzjunky
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 02:07:45 AM »
Not that I know of, but it does seem like he has been slacking this past year.

Offline EvilJam

• Fear of diversity makes for a bitter cup of tea
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to the Party!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 02:43:39 AM »
Has jumped the shark.

Could be good again, though,
if they added some p/t staff,
some eager beavers.

... evil
The NRA and Guns: "It all boils down to, do you want a N-word word with a big 14-incher f*cking your wife??" – Sam Greenlaw
Tom Perkins is proof that the gap between the wealthiest 1% and Reality has never been greater - MoT
"The problem with (Ayn Rand) Capitalism is The Rich soon run out of poor people's money." – David Atkins (thereisnospoon)

Offline crazyray

• sitting in the back...being good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 09:56:57 AM »
At least it's not Fox news.    Some stories there come out a week later and are mostly not about here.  Evil hit it.    We are to used to big staffed web pages like Fox.     Other thing the page needs is people out there sending him news of the street.    You see something, get it to him fast.    That's the real charm about the place.    You can be the on sight reporter.
Try to learn from the past.

screamadelica02

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 10:04:10 AM »

Offline Blake Fenderbaum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 10:13:45 AM »
In the time I've been watching NJ, there have typically been fewer updates on the weekends as opposed to weekdays. On the other hand... how much 'breaking news' really happens over your typical weekend? I'm not familiar with their staffing, but even with more reporters and the same lack of notable stories, you're still not going to see a lot of appreciable updates. Sounds more like watching a pot of water on a stove while it's in the process of boiling over.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
-Winston Churchill
Viewing a forum as a monolith instead of a variety of persons with differing opinions is a surefire way to make it appear as though it's a beast of negativity that can never be satisfied.

screamadelica02

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 10:41:30 AM »
Plus, it usually has to be reported somewhere else for it to be linked to by Newzjunky. And, if the local newspaper is the only one to report it (e.g. that deputy with the DWI), you won't be seeing it on Newzjunky.

Subscribe to the RSS feeds from WWNY-TV.com, the local newspaper site, News10Now and whatever national news sites you like best (e.g. Google News).  Now, subscribe to the RSS feed of whatever New York Post section provides the tabloid "newz" that Newzjunky headlines. Make sure to add that to your RSS reader at a proportion that equals any real news. Congratulations, in five minutes, you've just made your own Newzjunky! Check the box next to your reader application's "share with anyone" feature, give out the address of your page and start contacting advertisers.  ;D

FRITZ

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 10:44:27 AM »

I admit I have no idea what "jumped the shark" means-enlighten me.

AlphaDog

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 10:48:41 AM »

I admit I have no idea what "jumped the shark" means-enlighten me.

Jumping the shark

Offline Blake Fenderbaum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 10:51:09 AM »
Jump The Shark explained.

Of course, a simple Google search would have accomplished the same...

Or, what AD said.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
-Winston Churchill
Viewing a forum as a monolith instead of a variety of persons with differing opinions is a surefire way to make it appear as though it's a beast of negativity that can never be satisfied.

FRITZ

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 11:09:47 AM »

...but a google search is so mundane while  board responces are always  so entertaining..

Offline ClevelandRocks

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 12:22:51 PM »
It is college basketball season - - and SU is ranked #7 in the land.  Attending games in those cushy seats takes a lot of time and commitment... :P

Nico

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 04:22:11 PM »
Weekends are typically slower news-wise on TV, in newspaper, on the internet etc.

IMO, however...NJ needs to beef up it's "localness," (local coverage of what's going on here.)

That's the reason I use the site in the first place. I can get the regional, state, national and world news elsewhere.

I find I'm even checking the site for the paper that can't be named, in search of local information. (And I hate to give them the traffic.)

« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 04:24:01 PM by Nico »

Online tree68

• JCWB Moderation Czar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 08:23:48 PM »
IMO, however...NJ needs to beef up it's "localness," (local coverage of what's going on here.)
Much of the original 'reporting' was by citizen journalists and their cell phones.  After several flaps involving the possibility of releasing victim/patient identities before the information had been released by authorities, as well as some other 'insider' smackdowns, that source rather dried up.

In fact, I think citizen journalism has rather died down.  For a while, there, every news outlet was touting "tip lines" and the like.   Don't see much of that any more.
Tree

Everyone Goes Home Safety Begins With You
Nonsense is timeless.  It's just more easily disseminated these days.

Standard disclaimers apply.  No expiration date.  Your results may vary.

“I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Blake Fenderbaum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 08:32:36 PM »
I think a part of that backlash had to do with aggregators having to deal with filtering actual news and tipsters who were glorified rumor-mongerers. With an already limited staff, that doesn't leave extra reporters sitting around to follow-up on what ends up being some grudge-driven agenda for what some people would consider 'news'.
-Winston Churchill

315hardcore

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 09:45:39 PM »
i believe it is one person doing the whole page because i know the man who owns it is friends with my mother... Honestly i just dont think a lot of shit happens in watertown. and i mean come on its the weekend even the news givers deserve a day off

TheSituation

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2010, 11:28:10 PM »
Even the "news givers" deserve a day off? 

That's a ridiculous statement.  The person or peoples behind Newzjunky are making a living due to the fact that local companies are now advertising on the site.  That's due to the fact that the people of the North Country can rely on the site for news rather than the newspaper or other news sources.  There's no such thing as a "a day off" in the news industry.

Sorry, but if you want to run a successful news organization, it's not a Monday through Friday operation.  It's seven days a week.  Deal with it.

Offline Wiener

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2010, 11:38:18 PM »
It's a lot harder to be a news agency than it seems. You actually need real beat people. Of course theirs not alot of  money doing it.
Keeping ahead of the wolves...barely

betterthanever

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 01:07:42 AM »
Much of the original 'reporting' was by citizen journalists and their cell phones.  After several flaps involving the possibility of releasing victim/patient identities before the information had been released by authorities, as well as some other 'insider' smackdowns, that source rather dried up.

In fact, I think citizen journalism has rather died down.  For a while, there, every news outlet was touting "tip lines" and the like.   Don't see much of that any more.

there is always sammy out there.....informing us of her many tips, not many facts, just tips.

WWR

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 07:22:02 AM »

there is always sammy out there.....informing us of her many tips, not many facts, just tips.

Now that's not true at all.  She's on the mark with her reports of goings-on.  And, at least she's honest.

Offline EvilJam

• View Profile
    • Welcome to the Party!
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2010, 02:32:23 PM »

Now that's not true at all.  She's on the mark with her reports of goings-on.  And, at least she's honest.

yep.  Our eyes on the prize here on the blighted east side.

Granted, Google needs to come up with a sammy translator, but still...

... evil
The NRA and Guns: "It all boils down to, do you want a N-word word with a big 14-incher f*cking your wife??" – Sam Greenlaw
Tom Perkins is proof that the gap between the wealthiest 1% and Reality has never been greater - MoT
"The problem with (Ayn Rand) Capitalism is The Rich soon run out of poor people's money." – David Atkins (thereisnospoon)

Offline duff

• Just another North Country Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2010, 02:42:36 PM »

yep.  Our eyes on the prize here on the blighted east side.

Granted, Google needs to come up with a sammy translator, but still...

... evil

Good one Evil
" and that's the way it is"
       Walter Cronkite

The most trusted Man in America

Offline starryeyes

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2010, 02:46:17 PM »
I miss the old NewzJunky! When there was an important news item they posted the red "whoopie" light above the story. Now you have to wade through too many ads, links to crap and then happen upon a local story.
Turn your face to the sun, and the shadows fall behind you.

Offline EvilJam

• View Profile
    • Welcome to the Party!
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2010, 02:57:37 PM »
Yeah, there should be a "Tired of the ads??  Subscribe!" button
on there so, for $10 every 6 months, or whatever, you can browse
the site ad-free.

... evil

shockhazard69

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2010, 04:05:48 PM »
the site ad-free.

... evil

The ads aren't what bothers me, it is the endless links to SHIT!

Offline cr@ckhe@d

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2010, 04:07:43 PM »
the site ad-free.

... evil

The ads aren't what bothers me, it is the endless links to SHIT!

I agree, there are more links to gossip sites than to actual news sites.

Offline crazyray

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2010, 07:25:21 PM »
Someone wants them or I'm sure they would go away fast.

Offline Blake Fenderbaum

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2010, 07:35:34 PM »
So, this all begs the question... what would you do specifically to improve the site? ;D
-Winston Churchill

Offline Petra

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2010, 10:30:19 PM »
So, this all begs the question... what would you do specifically to improve the site? ;D
For starters...
  • Do a better job at putting new items at top
  • Only put local items in center
  • Stop using cryptic/misleading headlines
  • Use an active page to track what links are clicked and analyze the data to see what items are popular
  • Use style sheets to cut down on the size of the page

Offline crazyray

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2010, 06:19:30 AM »
Need a long running local page like in Husler.    Send in photos of your girlfriend.     You know... tasteful ones.   :D