Home Depot vs Lowes PELLET PRICES

Author Topic: Home Depot vs Lowes PELLET PRICES  (Read 4044 times)

tdasno

Home Depot vs Lowes PELLET PRICES
« on: January 01, 2010, 05:58:54 PM »
so i went to buy a few bags of pellets to get through the weekend and what did i find home depot is selling nature pellets for $4.58 a bag, then i go to lowes and the same pellets are $5.98 a bag....this is crazy, i went into lowes and said something and they ended up giving them to us for the cheaper price but they did not give the 10% discount to beat the price they just matched the price...anyhow my question is how is it that 2 places within a mile from each other can have such a price difference???

Offline gunslinger

• JCWB Moderation Czar
  • Older and Wiser
    • View Profile
Re: Home Depot vs Lowes PELLET PRICES
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 06:06:34 PM »
Now that we're in the business section ...   

I'm curious why you didn't demand the 10% discount?
I won't be the victim, but the first to cast a stone.

I am the one, true gunslinger - you shall put no other gunslinger before me. 
guns 1:01

Quote from: EvilJam

If we just all Open Carry there will be less gun violence.

Offline inspector71™

• JCWB Moderation Czar
  • Shut up, you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 07:13:33 PM »
If that's the same brand that I think it is, I picked up a few bags at WalMart last year just to try them. They suck. I had a lot of ash and clinkers with them.
 Though I mostly use Empire pellets, so far the best that I've found is Clean Energy from Lowes. I picked up a ton there earlier this fall.
Personally, I wouldn't have dicked around going back and forth between the two stores. If it was the same brand for a significant savings, I'd have just bought the lower priced ones and gone home.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. - John Wayne

tdasno

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2010, 08:59:30 PM »
so i have doing some shopping for pellets and found that home depots pellets are $1.40 less than lowes and they are the same brand...now how is there that much of a price difference from one store to another that is only a few miles apart??? its getting just as bad as the fuel...

Offline Bigdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2010, 10:18:05 PM »
noticed that Lowe's has 4 or 5 different brands of pellets in their piles. haven't checked out HD - don't really care. I get mine from Sundance - New England brand - very consistant pellets and low ash. tried a few bags from Lowes once can't remember which brand and was very disappointed. apoligized to my stove for ever using them.

tdasno

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 11:45:02 PM »
Now that we're in the business section ...   
sorry didn't realize there was a business section, just signed up a couple of weeks ago just learning, but thanks....
I'm curious why you didn't demand the 10% discount?
they were being really big jerks in lowes today, they have given the 10% before but the people working today were really rude....

Offline gunslinger

• JCWB Moderation Czar
  • Older and Wiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 12:54:41 AM »

sorry didn't realize there was a business section, just signed up a couple of weeks ago just learning, but thanks....

Actually, you signed up on October 28, 2009, at 04:54:18 AM.  Interesting time to join a webboard, BTW.
Gosh, time flies.  ::)

they were being really big jerks in lowes today, they have given the 10% before but the people working today were really rude....
If it is their store policy to give 10%, who gives a shit whether they were rude or not?  It's your money, t.

tdasno

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 09:49:10 AM »
i agree it is my money, but one thing i hate is rude people there were like 3 people right there about attacking the fact that i was trying to find out why the huge difference in price...they did not like it at all...
and yes i guess it was october that i signed in, but still trying to figure this out, taking sometime but i am getting there...

Offline hodad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 10:01:36 AM »
i agree it is my money, but one thing i hate is rude people there were like 3 people right there about attacking the fact that i was trying to find out why the huge difference in price...they did not like it at all...

What's the big mystery? A store can charge a different price for the same product than other stores. They have the right to do that.

tdasno

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 12:57:35 PM »

What's the big mystery? A store can charge a different price for the same product than other stores. They have the right to do that.
um, i think that is price gouging when it is only 3 minutes away from each other...not like it was in a different town or something where maybe i would understand the price difference...and it is not lilke it was a couple of cents its a difference of $1.40...sorry you don't see the problem with that, but i am sure like me others do...

Terri

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 01:01:41 PM »
Did you ask at the store about the price difference?   :-\  That would be a good start, other than that obviously store A is trying tmake more off from pellets than store B, pretty simple business.  I'm sure if you looked around each store you'd see it in many items.  Not to hard to figure out.  And when people don't price compare store A will make the extra money.

Offline gunslinger

• JCWB Moderation Czar
  • Older and Wiser
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 02:14:36 PM »
Let your wallet do the talking.  You do the walking.

Simple, really.

Offline Esox

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 06:06:13 PM »

um, i think that is price gouging when it is only 3 minutes away from each other...not like it was in a different town or something where maybe i would understand the price difference...and it is not lilke it was a couple of cents its a difference of $1.40...sorry you don't see the problem with that, but i am sure like me others do...

I believe the term "price gouging" would only apply if only one store in the immediate area had the item and they jacked it versus going a few miles away, sort of like a store that jacked their generator prices during an ice storm or something like that.

If I can buy 2x6's at Lowes for 75 cents cheaper each than at Home Depot, is that "price gouging" as well?
49 in 3.5..ahahahahahahaha!!

suctus esse tu

Offline cr@ckhe@d

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 11:00:54 AM »

I believe the term "price gouging" would only apply if only one store in the immediate area had the item and they jacked it versus going a few miles away, sort of like a store that jacked their generator prices during an ice storm or something like that.

If I can buy 2x6's at Lowes for 75 cents cheaper each than at Home Depot, is that "price gouging" as well?

A good example of price gouging is during the ice storm of '98, when generators that normally sold for $500 were suddenly marked up to $1500

Offline dummer51

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 11:31:22 AM »

You are mistaken. Like Gunslinger said, "Let your wallet do the talking." It's called free enterprise and the competition keeps prices on balance for the most part. No one is forcing you to pay the higher price. You have an optional place to shop at.

For the life of me...I don't know why folks don't buy their pellets from Waldroff's. You can buy by the bag or you can pay a per ton price and pick them up at their plant in Lafargeville or at their store on Murrock. They make them. Their prices are usually better and you'd be supporting local business instead of the big box stores.
I wish my mamma was an old white hippy chick.

Offline inspector71™

• JCWB Moderation Czar
  • Shut up, you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 02:12:37 PM »

For the life of me...I don't know why folks don't buy their pellets from Waldroff's. You can buy by the bag or you can pay a per ton price and pick them up at their plant in Lafargeville or at their store on Murrock. They make them. Their prices are usually better and you'd be supporting local business instead of the big box stores.

The majority of my pellets did come from Walldroff (Empire Pellet), but now and then I like to try a different brand to compare quality and price between the brands.
Some I didn't care for ( the brand that WalMart had last year and the pellets from White's Lumber with the grizzly bear on the bag), some were in the middle (Empire) and one brand seemed to be a touch above the rest (Clean Energy from Lowe's).
I'm pretty well set this winter, but if I run short I may try whatever brand that my stove dealer is selling.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. - John Wayne

Offline L.A. Moore

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 04:13:58 AM »
I went to tractor supply and got "INSTANTHEAT" pellets at $250 a ton. Not bad.
Bring me champagne when I'm thirsty.
Bring me reefer when I want to get high.